The 40/60 Naval 40mm Bofor Gun Mount is more commonly referred to as the Bofor Gun Mount.
The Bofor 4omm gun, often referred to simply as the “Bofor gun” is an anti-aircraft/multi-purpose autocannon designed in the 1930’s by the Swedish arms manufacturers AB Bofors. It was one of the most popular medium-weight, anti-aircraft systems during WWII, used by most of the western allies as well as by the axis powers.
A small number of these weapons remain in service to this day and saw action as late as the Gulf War. This model was used on Australian patrol boats until early 2000.
The Bofor Gun Mount was donated to the Bendigo District RSL by Thales Australia-Bendigo and was restored by the BDRSL Sheds Programme in 2012
Serial Number: 18598
Year of Manufacture: 1934 – until the 1990’s
Barrel: The barrel was made in 1943 and was still wrapped in grease proof protective wrapping prior to it being placed in this display in 2012
Manufacturers: Maribyrnong Ordance Factory. This mount was overhauled and upgraded at the Ordnance Factory (Thales) Bendigo in the 1980’s
Country of Production: Australia
Crew: Dependant on use
Models: L/60 – L/70
Shell: Calibre 40mm
Rate of Fire: L/60 = 120 rounds per minute, L/70 = 330 rounds per minute
Firing Range: L/60 = 160metres, L/70 = 500metres